A 64-year-old man has died from carbon monoxide poisoning in his car after he apparently used briquettes in a portable clay cooking stove to boil water for cup noodles, police said.


The eldest son of Takashi Kanai found his father lying in his car parked near a local lake in Iizuna, Nagano Prefecture, at about 1:20 a.m. on Monday, before calling paramedics.

Officers found evidence in the car that suggested that Kanai boiled water on a portable clay cooking stove using briquettes. They also found a cup of instant noodles in the car, with the lid open. They suspect that Kanai died from carbon monoxide poisoning from the briquettes in the car.

Kanai, from Nagano, went fishing at the lake on Sunday.


Sun Tzu has spent about 7 years in Asia traveling through Japan, Hong Kong, China, and Korea. A true fan of everything that is weird and strange, he decides in the end what is displayed and published on this site. Sun has previous experience writing for numerous print mags such as XLR8R, URB, and Movement Magazine.