Chinese Woman Escapes Unhurt in Toilet Explosion
Posted on May 20, 2013
Bizarre restroom incidents are not overly surprising anymore. But one recent story, in which a toilet exploded when it was being used, caught our attention.
In Leqing City, in China’s Zhejian Province, at around 6:00 a.m. on May 1, 2013, a woman was using a public restroom when the toilet literally exploded. The blast so was so powerful that it blew the exterior wall outward, injuring another woman who was walking by. Amazingly, the woman inside was completely unharmed, protected by the room’s internal brick walls.
A local citizen speculated that the incident may have been caused by faulty electrical wires that sparked and thus ignited the methane gas that had filled up the stopped-up toilet.
Fortunately, May Day was a national holiday in China, so there were not many people on the street. The restroom was located in an industrial area of the city, so had this incident happened on a regular working day, things could have gone a lot worse.