Man Arrested in Sri Lanka for Swallowing a Diamond
Posted on October 9, 2012
Everyone was in shock when a 32-year-old Chinese visitor at a gem exhibition in Sri Lanka was arrested because he had apparently swallowed a diamond worth $13,000.
The modus operandi was said to involve the caught Chinese man and an apprentice. The accomplice first swapped the original gem with a fake one, then swallowed the real gem, leaving no evidence of the theft behind.
Unfortunately for the two crooks, Mr. de Silva, who was watching closely over his precious gems, spotted the supposed-to-be thief swallowing the diamond even though the accomplice was distracting him.
The diamond’s owner immediately summoned the police. The Chinese man was then taken to the hospital, where he was given laxatives. The suspect was under close observation since it was not determined which stone he ingested. There is still no news if the gem has been recovered.
Mr. de Silva said that this is the first time he has seen such a stunt. Swallowing a diamond is very risky, de Silva said, because its point could damage the intestines.