Chopsticks Seriously Injure Chinese Boy
Posted on August 8, 2010
Everyday we hear about accidents caused by some of the strangest things; kids and pets accidentally swallow small items or fall from odd structures, and people cut themselves on new and different sharp edges. Still, whoever would have thought that chopsticks could prove to be a fatal weapon?
This past week, in China’s Anhui Province, a family sat down to dinner in the usual manner, but got the shock of their lives when a very distressing accident unfolded before them.
Their two-year-old boy, Haohao, got down from his chair and was walking around the home carrying the chopsticks in his hand. Suddenly, he cried out and fell; his parents rushed to his side.
When they picked him up from the floor, they were horrified at the sight of one of the chopsticks buried up the left nostril of their child’s tiny nose, from which blood was pouring profusely.
Haohao was rushed to the closest hospital where doctors informed the parents that the injury might well be fatal. Haohao required special treatment and the parents paid for the expensive transport via ambulance to Shanghai’s Hinhua Hospital. Enroute, the little boy lost consciousness and developed a high fever.
Fortunately, the injury did not damage the child’s brain, which is a miracle in itself. After a 90-minute operation, Haohao is in stable condition and expected to make a full recovery.
Will this little boy ever eat with chopsticks again?
Probably yes, for custom and old habits die-hard.
But will he ever WALK across the room holding THEM again?
More than likely, his parents probably won’t permit that until he is old enough to drive!
What do YOU think about this?