Man Slept Next To Dead Wife for 5 Years

Posted on December 3, 2009

A Vietnamese man dug up his wife’s body, molded it with clay into a female figure and put it in his bed so he could hug it every night for the past five years.

The man, 55-year-old Le Van from Ha Lam in the central Quang Nam province, is seen below with his wife’s remains and his son.

vietnamwife1.jpg

According to reports, Van began by sleeping upon his wife’s grave after she died in 2003. He said that a year and a half later he decided to dig a tunnel next to his wife’s grave so he could sleep beside her away from the rain and wind.

However, neighbors and local authorities found out about the practice and persuaded Van to stop. Subsequently in November 2004 Van returned to the grave, dug up his wife’s corpse and brought it home, where it remains today.

Van’s son, photographed below with his mother’s corpse, is said to hug her body before going to bed each night.

His father told the Lao Dong newspaper that his neighbours dared not visit him for years, but have since grown more accustomed to the idea and will now pay him a visit from time to time.

“I’m a person that does things differently. I’m not like normal people,” he was quoted as saying. “My wife’s body only passed away but her spirit still accompanies us. I have no fear when it comes to sleeping with her at all.”

Local authorities are said to be planning an inspection of the case because of new sanitation laws that rule a body must be cremated or buried, and that burials cannot be carried out in residential gardens without approval.

vietnamwife2.jpg

vietnamwife.jpg

Links 1 2 3

75 thoughts on “Man Slept Next To Dead Wife for 5 Years

1. Miley Cyrus

Hello who am i i'm Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus! Do you guys want my e mail k my mail is smiley.hannah.miley
      @yahoo.com.sg

1. Louis

This is disturbingly romantic . . .
    Could be worst – he could be treating that like a sex doll . . . Hoo boy, let's hope he isn't.

2. cassie

that's actually really nice. i don't really find it creepy, he just misses her. we all deal with that in different ways. if you find this creepy then you find cremated remains in a jar in a house creepy? it's exactly like this.

1. Shahrina

And do you like Hannah Montana? I like her very much cos she is pretty. I have her guitar video game,magazines,poster,file,2 bag,sticker,pen,puzzle,cards and her game boy.

1. Greg

Man falls onto the snow and says "Wow! the snow is really cold!"
        A person walks by and says "I'm sure it's not as cold as your wife, Mr. V!"

3. Lil Mrs. Rissa

Thats really sweet but me personally i wouldnt do no crazy shit like that.. but you are right he's in love and i understand and i love my man with all my heart and thats never gone change.. but i wouldnt do no crazy shit like that.. but everyone does deal with things different ways and he was so in love that thats the reason why he dug her up,, people thats talking shit really dont know what its like you must not know what love really is and dont have feelings. just insensitive… why dont yall give the man a fucking break.. i feel for him but still i wouldnt do no shit like that..

4. Vee

yea how about the smell of the body? how can they eat? i mean, it has to smell even if its wrapped up….i wonder how it looks like if he took the wrap off…ughhhhhhhhhh

5. sofia

He dug her up about a year and a half after she died, she would be pretty much only a skeleton by then. I think bodies stop stinking after they're done rotting.

6. Sofia Champion

Because I really always knew that my little crime
    Would be cold, that's why I got a heater for your thighs!
    And I know, I know it's not your time!
    But bye-bye!

And a word to the wise, when the fire dies
    You think it's over but it's just beguuu-u-uuuuun,
    Baby, don't cry…

You had my heaaart,
    at least for the moooost part…
    'Cause everybody's gotta die sometime!
    We fell apart, let's make a new start
    'cause everybody's gotta die sometime, yeah, yeeeeahhh!

7. valo

ill be honest, this is by far the most romantic and heartbreaking story i ever heard. it show unconditional love and complete loyalty. and i know im gonna get some bad replys and comments on saying this but i have to say whats true to me, with my wife, if the time came and she passed away i would do the same thing, and if not allowed id have a home graveyard behind my home and visit her daily. even plant her favorite rose bush beside her

8. HMW

I feel bad for his wife, with his inability to let go. If there were any sort of afterlife, she couldn't possibly want this for him. I feel worse for their son, though, having to live through this and hug his mother's corpse. It's sweet, though, he loved and still loves his wife.

9. Crystal

I don't understand how people can think this is sweet. Really? Death is a part of life, it's unfortunate but you need to let go and heal. You can keep that person in your heart but you need to respect the dead and let them rest in peace. And he is psychologically disturbing that little boy. He deserves to understand that he doesn't need to have his mother's corpse in his home in order to love her. There are memories, pictures, stories. Not dead bodies though! That child is too young to understand right now that this is not normal. When he gets older he will become confused and become just as incapable of dealing with emotions as his father is. Not sweet, not romantic, it's disturbing and that man is mentally ill. I'm sure his wife would not have wanted this for her son to be a part of.

10. dick hugmywang

its a lil sad but ppl deal with death all kind of ways even in a wierd way.
    the boy huggin her b4 bed is sad too cuz i bet he doesnt really remember his mom.
    im sure 7 outta 10 ppl would hug there moms body shell(corpse) just because your memorys of her will drive you to it point is dont judge his behavior until your in his shoes(there shoes)

11. Jule

this man is disturbing. he is ill. he need help! loving your wife is one thing but putting you son through sickel mind like him is even SICKER!!!

12. Tasya

It has positive and negative sides actually. I mean, that man must be loved his wife so much that he couldn’t possibly let her go. But it’s bad because death is part of our life. We must face it. People will come and go in our life right ? But it is hard to let go of someone we really love. I just hope this man could face the reality someday and move on.

13. amber

There's nothing creepy about it, it may be unhealthy, but other that, it's sweeter than anything. Those of you who have never lost someone close to you may think so, but I, along with others who have the same experience would find this very sad and touching.

14. Nancy

I can understand why this story looks creepy but this man shows he truly loves his wife. He TRIED to sleep next to her grave and in the tunnel but after a year and a half, he couldn't stand it. The fact that he covered her body in clay to restore her is interesting…but again, preservation. The poor little boy even hugs his mother…awh, this story is so sad. =( Poor men here know how it is to lose a woman when men mistreat them these days.

15. anounymous022

i hate that he left me to another woman ,but i really love he and i don’t want any thing except he i had to look for help to get he back when i saw a post of one on the internet how this man Doc Obodo help get her lover back ,and if any one needed his help should contact  Doc Obodo @ templeofanswer@hotmail.co.uk or call +2348155425481 i did and lo and behold 2days later he call me and started pleading for me to take he back