Japan’s Indoor Beach: Where The Surf is Always Up

Posted on March 31, 2009

The world’s one and only indoor beach can be found in Japan’s Ocean Dome about 1,200 miles south of Tokyo in Miyazaki, on Japan’s southernmost Kyushu Island.

Here, the water is always blue and salt-free, waves are perfectly timed, sharks are elsewhere, and its never too hot, or cold, to take a dip.

Japan’s Ocean Dome even has its own marble sand and a volcano that spits fake flames every hour, on the hour. Shores are sanitized; permitting surfers to drip-dry in the perfect climate, which never varies, day and night, every day of the year.

The Ocean Dome also boasts the world’s largest retractable roof.

The beach sits inside a vast dome that measures 300 x 100 meters (984 feet x 328 feet). The heated ocean sends 13,500 tons of salt-free water sweeping across 600 tons of polished marble chips that comprise a long shoreline.

The world’s largest artificial sea washes over the world’s biggest indoor beach, fringed with artificial fish and fauna.

Bogus parrots ruffle their feathers and squawk at tourists from the rainforest that has no rain.

There are no bugs here or sun burns either.

But like most things in life, entrance into this paradise costs. Visitors pay with payment tokens that are computer-coded plastic tags. Admission runs about US $50 for adults, with rides running $5-10 more. Add $10 more for two hours with a boogie board, or $5 for two hours of inner tube rental.

Visitors are offered many diversions in the form of shopping centers tennis courts and golf courses. On the other side of the beach is the plastic rainforest, where guests can travel among holographic sea pirates, demons and dinosaurs.

Who could ask for anything more?

(Link)

MDeeDubroff

MDeeDubroff

M Dee Dubroff is the penname of this freelance writer and former teacher originally from Brooklyn, New York. A writer of ghostly and horror fiction, she has branched out into the world of humorous non fiction writing and maintains eight web sites covering a wide variety of topics. She also writes feature articles for several local newspapers. Her book entitled: A Taste of Funny, and her website, Eat, Drink And Really Be Merry (http://www.ingestandimbibe.com) feature many well researched and humorous articles on the subject of food and drink.

55 thoughts on “Japan’s Indoor Beach: Where The Surf is Always Up

1. MDeeDubroff Post author

Thanks you all for your comments and Mike, I don’t know anything about the beach being closed, but I will check on it. If I have more info, I will let you know.

1. Mike.

Ouran High School Host Club anyone?? This EXACT indoor beach dome was depicted in the OHSHC… including the rain forest. Pretty awesome. I wanna visit Japan….

2. Charles

I went there like a long time ago! 8 years ago maybe…
    It was the best ocean ever lol.
    By looking at the Japanese Wikipedia,
    it said that it closed in September 30, 2007.

1. Tura

… so it’s not news anymore (I remember it was in TV program about it ages ago) nor is it even the only one, there is at least the one in Germany that seems to be still open (Tropical Islands).

And as for the ‘oh a natural one is so much better oh how fake’ – is it better to go to your local fake beach paradise on a cold winter weekend or fly somewhere for the real thing?

3. Sean

I live on the island of Tasmania. On the west coast I can visit a beach that’s ninety miles long with superb surf, the purest air in the world and there will not be a soul in sight.

I’ll take that any day to being stuck in a crowd on a fake beach, being ripped off in plastic-land.

1. Lo in ND

I wanna come visit – lol – do you have a spare room? the best I have to offer you in return is a very cold, sulfer lake and buffalo…

4. quatzalcoatl

It’s not the only indoor beach. There is one in Germany too, it’s called Tropical Islands and its even bigger.

5. Kate

I have a story: a guy dies and he wakes up next to the most beautiful river he’s ever seen, the water’s clear and refreshing, the grass is green but its not too damp and there’s no bugs, the sun is shining but not too hot so you could stay out in it all day. There’s his trusty fishing rod (he loved to fish) waiting for him and almost the moment he puts his rod in the river he catches the biggest fish of his life! he does the same thing and a fish almost exactly the same bites and he catches another one. The man is so happy he puts his rod in again and exactly the same thing happens, “wow is this what heaven is like for everyone?!” he asks, a voice comes gently back “what makes you think this is heaven?”

just made me think,

6. treetop

I LOVE this place! anY One been here b4? i woUld love to hear anything you know about this place, i tRaveled to many places in my tIme and this place looks COol as hell ^^

7. erynn

I could ask for more.
    How about a real beach.
    Does no one care that companies and new age ideas are completely brainwashing people into thinking absolute perfection is obtainable? And besides that they are degrading what mother nature has given us. This is ridiculous. And I’m glad it was shut down.

8. Pinky

I was in Miyazaki years ago. It has beautiful palm trees, a balmy climate and it seems insane to me that they built an indoor beach in this lovely spot. Very Japanese: imitate nature, make sure it’s crowded, make it trendy and charge a lot. I’m not a hater: I loved living in Japan, but this is an example of yet_another_commercial_something the world does not need. Visit Miyazaki and instead, enjoy the weather, the good Japanese food, the sense of history and make some local friends.

9. Rob

lol what an artificial, suffocating and claustophobia triggering, crowded, plastic waste of money. And all the while people litter and destroy the real beauty and serenity found on natural beaches. I shudder at our future sometimes, but at the face that this never survived gives me hope yet.

10. Brett Borders

I lived near this place when I was in Japan. Yes, it closed a few years back. Yes, the place sucked and very over-priced, over supervised… and very close to a nice beach that ROCKED for surfing year round (although it was a bit cold in the winter.)

11. vaniesa40891

I think this indoor beach was built primarily to benefit those beach lovers who want to have a great time in the beach without worrying about the rain and avoiding the seasons that spoil a good time in the beach.

Is this still open? I’ve been wanting to go there. I was amazed when I read this in a children book when I was still in grade school(now I’m in college). (n_n)v

12. TXGirl

For all of those who are saying the outdoor beach is better, you obviously haven't swam in the Gulf of Mexico. I would rather swim in a fake beach any day because of:
    A. No sunburn
    B. No jellyfish stings or shark bites
    C. No litter and dirty needles
    D. No stepping on crabs and getting pinched
    I love to look at the ocean, but I hate to swim in it. It scares the crap out of me. I agree that this fake ocean is a huge waste of resources and for that reason, I'm kinda glad it was shut down… but I would rather swim in it.

1. Lo in ND

I agree about the gulf – ewww and double ewww after the hurricane. It is beautiful to look at from a hotel but I prefer the hotel pool to swim in…

13. Lo in ND

It's beautiful looking and looks like it's fun, but probably just once, to say you'd been, but that pretty high dollar to swim in a fancy pool…

14. Misa

Wow, I always wanted to go to Japan, and now I want to go even more!!!!!!! XD
    I just love Japan!!!!!! :)
    sorry if I wrote this two times it looks like they took comment off!!! :(

15. cheap beats by dre

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks.

16. Studio Orange

Very good post with useful information. I really appreciate the fact that you approach these topics from a stand point of knowledge and information. Please keep on posting.

17. Cheap Beats By Dre

Hello, I like your site, content is very rich, allow me to leave a message well, wish you are lucky!

18. beats headphones

he man is so happy he puts his rod in again and exactly the same thing happens, "wow is this what heaven is like for everyone?!" he asks, a voice comes gently back "what makes you think this is heaven?" just made me think,

19. jane

Herve Leger Bandage Dresses
    Double-Shoulder Dresses will show your beautiful line and tender silhouette. Each clipping of Herve Leger Double-Shoulder Dresses is close to the body, and by this way can make you more comfortable and sexy. If you want Bandage Dresses
    yourself posses perfect figure, if you imagine yourself the focus in any occasions, the Herve Leger Double-Shoulder Dresses will be Bandage Dresses
    your best choice. Note:Dry clean only. Rayon, Nylon, Spandex.