Calling out to All Site Designers: Weird Asia News To Launch A Design Contest
Weird Asia News started as a simple blog with a default WordPress template. As the site continues to increase in popularity, we believe that a redesign is necessary. We are inviting all the fans and readers proficient in site design to participate in this contest. First place winner will receive a PlayStation3, an interview, and a credit link in the footer of the blog.
In addition to the prized provided by Weird Asia News, additional sponsors have decided to offer prizes for the winner as well.
Todd Malicoat, from Stuntdubl.com, indicated it was unfair to have a PS3 without Guitar Hero 3. He has announced that the winner of this contest will also receive Guitar Hero 3.
Pingo came through with a great gift for the winners, as well as every single person who submits a design for this contest.
1st and 2nd place winners will receive international phone cards with up to 5,000 minutes of calling time and valued at $100.00 each. Additionally, they have decided to offer a free international phone card to each person who enters the contest with up to 250 minutes of calling time and valued at $5.00 each.
We told them there might be a lot of people entering the contest but they said “could be $5,000 or $50,000 in phone cards. Who knows? But we do know your getting a free calling card, Just for sharing your Asian News Design!”
Weird Asia News Design Contest Guidelines:
As part of our mission to enhance the usability and aesthetics of Weird Asia News, we would like to add features and widgets to the site. These include most popular content, top commenter, polls, and ad spots.
Additionally, the design should reflect our style and content, and adopt a magazine or real news format. The site should have three columns and use the sidebar space to add in features, widgets, and advertising. The deadline is on June 30, 2008 and site visitors will pick the winning design.
** A larger version of the logo can be found here – Logo
It has been asked if individuals can still enter the contest if they do not live in the United States. The answer is yes, but you cannot be eligible to win the PS3 or any other prizes. You can still get recognition in the article and get a link in the template but there are too many international and foreign laws that must be followed in order to open the contest up for everyone to win the PS3 and prizes.
- On July 1, 2008, Weird Asia News will choose the themes that we believe will work for our specified needs. Once the designs are selected, they will be available on the site for readers and visitors to vote on. User votes will determine the winner of the contest.
- Voting will last until July 15, 2008.
- Winners will be announced on or around July 18, 2008
- If no design is chosen to be displayed for voting then contest will either be extended or canceled.
- The winner of this contest will receive a post detailing them, their design, and their company, if available. The winner will retain credit for the design and a link to their site in the footer.
- The winning design will become the default design for Weird Asia News.
- Participants can enter more than 1 design. (Please do not just change a logo or something lame to call it different.)
Online Contest Rules
- Introduction: Weird Asia News, http://www.weirdasianews.com is offering the Online Contest (“Contest”).NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. NO WRITTEN RESPONSE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PARTICULAR RESPONSE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- Eligibility: Entrant must be 18 years of age as of May 20, 2008. For the PS3 or Amazon prize only, entrant must be a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
- Timing: Contest begins at 12:00:01 a.m. E.T. on May 22, 2008, and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. E.T. on June 30, 2008.
- Design Rules: The following rules and directions must be followed in order to be entered into this contest.
- Designs must be compatible with WordPress and allow for regular updates. Code must be easy to understand so that future changes can be made.
- Designs must be unique and designed by the submitter. Any designs that violate copyright laws will be disqualified.
- Designs must not contain hidden links, programs, spyware, viruses, keyloggers, or any other malicious components.
- Designs must be relevant to Weird Asia News. You may alter but do not replace the logo graphic. You are free to utilize different fonts. (logo image)
- Design must be a three column design and incorporate or allow for inclusion of advertising spots, site sections, and various widgets including, but not limited to:
- Most Popular Stories
- About Us
- Social Media Buttons
- Recent posts
- Various ad spots
- How to Enter: Send your WordPress design, e-mail address and/or U.S. mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Each submission must have screen shots of the theme in use or a live version of the theme. Contest participants may enter multiple designs.
- Judging Criteria: Each entrant selected as a potential winner must comply with all terms and conditions set forth in these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all such requirements. The prize winners will be selected by Weird Asia News user’s votes. The contest will take place under the supervision of Weird Asia News. Participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decision of the voting, which is final. Winners will be notified by e-mail or mail by July 21, 2008.
- Prizes: The following prizes will be awarded:Official Prize ScheduleEntry Deadline: June 30, 2008.Prize:
- First Prize wins a Sony 40GB Playstation 3, Guitar Hero 3 (sponsored by Todd Malicaot), Reddit gift package (sponsored by Reddit.com), a post detailing the contest, and a credit link in the footer of the design.
- Second Prize wins $50 Amazon Gift CardNumber of Prizes: 2 (two)Total Approximate Retail Value of All Prizes: $450.00.
Weird Asia News and/or Sponsors, are not responsible for lost or mutilated prizes and none will be replaced. Prize is nontransferable and must be accepted as awarded. No cash or other substitution may be made. Entrant must be 18 years of age as of May 20, 2008 and be a legal resident of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
- Other Terms and Conditions: Potential winners and any guests who will share in the prize will each be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability Release, and where lawful, a Publicity Release, within fourteen (14) days of notification, failing which the potential winner will be disqualified and prizes will be forfeited. If any prize or prize notification is returned as non-deliverable, the potential winner will be disqualified and prizes will be forfeited. BY ACCEPTING THE PRIZE, THE WINNER AGREES THAT WEIRD ASIA NEWS AND?OR SPONSORS, [ITS/THEIR] SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF WEIRD ASIA NEWS’S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES AND AGENTS, WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE HELD HARMLESS BY WINNER FOR ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING DEATH, AND PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS SWEEPSTAKES OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY CONTEST OR PRIZE RELATED ACTIVITY. Subject to all federal, state and local laws. Void where prohibited.
- Miscellaneous: All entries become the sole property of Weird Asia News and none will be returned. In the event of a dispute, entries made by Internet will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. The “authorized account holder” is deemed the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, service provider or other online organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Weird Asia News with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure, human error or any other causes beyond the control of Weird Asia News that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Weird Asia News reserve(s) the right in [its/their] sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Weird Asia News assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Weird Asia News [is/are] not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Weird Asia News on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, any combination thereof, or otherwise, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Contest. Weird Asia News [is/are] not responsible for late, lost, illegible, incomplete, stolen, or misdirected entries. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, WEIRD ASIA NEWS RESERVE(S) THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
- Winners List: The winner shall be announced at http://weirdasianews.com on July 15, 2008 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. If winner requests confidentiality, only a first name and state will be provided.
- Sponsors: The Sponsor(s) of this Contest are Weird Asia News, Todd Malicoat, Reddit.com, and Pingo.