Black Charcoal Toothpaste

Posted on November 3, 2007

I can think of many uses for everyday charcoal. From art to making myself a burger on the grill, it is definitely useful.

However, when i first saw that Korea had Charcoal Toothpaste, i was a little taken a back.

charcoal1.jpg

Black in color, go figure, it uses the cleaning power and absorption of odor to help clean your mouth and “neutralize the poisons from the body”.

I guess someone figured if it is good enough to filter your water then it is good enough to clean your teeth.

Japan has had charcoal toothpaste since 2003 when Kobayashi Pharmaceuticals released Sumigaki.

sumigaki01.gifsumigaki.gif

Shortly followed by charcoal cotton swab

charcoal-swab01.gif
charcoal-swab.jpg

49 thoughts on “Black Charcoal Toothpaste

1. Cye

that shits been around forever, I been using it since i was like 6 (I am Indian [Asian]). Tastes like utter crap at first, made me gag anyways – but after the first few timese you get used to it and it does a damn better job than any triclosan/fluoride toothpaste.

2. wes

this is actually a very good idea; is there an english site i could order this from? activated charcoal is very effective in absorbing/adsorbing undesirable compounds.

1. James

Charcoal works not because it cleans the plaque off your teeth, but because it just takes EVERYTHING off. Charcoal isn’t used for toothpaste anymore because it wears away the enamel of your teeth.

1. John

I think the comment was referring to all of the toys recently coming from Japan that have been contaminate with lead. I’m pretty sure he didn’t think charcoal = lead.

1. Silver

And this has something to do with charcoal toothpaste how? Nevermind that charcoal doesn’t cause any form of lead poisoning for obvious reasons.

3. Nick

When I used to do a lot of camping, I would chew some of the cold embers (charcoal) the next morning. It sort of had the consistency of croutons, so it would do a good job of scrubbing your teeth, plus it would help your breath. Its a pretty good trick provided you could be sure no one peed in the fire. Probably only useful for hardcore campers who don’t want to cary the extra three ounces for Banking powerd and a tooth brush.

4. Patricia

As the charred part of food from the grill is not good for you, I can’t imagine that putting charcoal in your mouth (either as a dentifrice or as an abrasive) where some of it is invariably ingested, can be good for you.

5. ROFLCOPTER

ZOMGWTF!!!

Hey guys
    Heres a step by step way to oral hygiene

1. Buy a NORMAL toothbrush
    2. Buy NORMAL toothpaste
    3. Buy some LISTERINE to get rid of that nasty shit/breath/shitbreath in your mouth..
    4. (optional)Go to your dentist for a tri-monthly cleanup.

And Voilah, shitless smelling breath and a beautiful,clean smile unless u are from Oklahoma

peace

1. Dylan

Crest or Colgate? What if charcoal toothpaste is normal? Based on your comments you have little respect for cultures other than your own, even if they are similar.

6. Hapkiyoosool

You can pick this up at most Korean markets, if they don’t have it, they can likely order it. It takes a bit to get used to the taste but it work really great!

7. don hennick

Lets give it a name
    I say Global Carbon March
    Inter our exhaust

I don’t see any mention on your web site of Pyrolysis or Agrichar . Do you have projects in the planning stage on the carbon sequestration front?

The more you learn about this ancient technique of soil restoration the more you’ll see how elegant this solution can be for carbon sequestration, for us all.
    Imagine putting the carbon tax funds into the hands of millions of peasant farmers all around the world, building their soil and their net worth at the same time. Please search “AGRICHAR” “BIOCHAR” or
    “TERRA PRETA

8. Mmmm

LOLS! I HAVE that toothpaste in my house right now.
    My dad buys into all those weird toothpastes.
    He also has one made from plants (it’s green and gross).
    Personally, I like Crest. But wtv

9. Dave

Activated charcoal is extremely good for your body and your teeth, and is a great alternative to avoiding over-flouridation by using flouride toothpaste.
    I’m making my own charcoal, crushing it to a powder, storing it tightly in a bottle, and mixing a spoon full in water/juice each day and sprinkling the powder on (yes) flouride toothpaste, since it is very difficult to find non-flouride toothpaste in any store, except when Wal*Mart carries “Tom’s.” The sellers of “activated charcoal” will tell you how to make it, but their way is way-over done and not necessary, which in-turn causes folks to buy their products. Do it yourself…Google it!

10. itsjw

Charcoal will adsorb the toxins in y our mouth and gently ex foliate your teeth. It doesn't have much taste and actually works a lot better at deterring bacteria from growing in your mouth( causing halitosis) it heals gums and will almost cure an abscess. Just find activated charcoal( not brickets from the grill) cr4ush it or break the capsule into a small glass dish add olive oil , coconut oil, almond oil, enough to make a paste, put on toothbrush, brush for 2 minutes. your teeth squeak afterwards!

11. Kjlacky

For everyone thinking this is like chewing dirt…if you get ANY kind of poisoning, guess what the emergency room pours down your throat? CHARCOAL! You can also buy capsules if you have issues with gas and bloating.

I made my own charcoal toothpaste to keep from having to clean dust off of everything twice a day. I mixed 1/2 cup coconut oil (melt this first, but don't make it hot- melts at 76 degrees), 1/3 cup activated charcoal, 1 tbsp of this peppermint stevia liquid I got from whole foods. I put it in a squeeze bottle from the travel section of Target. If you have a lot of tooth pain, you could add clove oil. My toothpaste tastes like mild peppermint/coconut. Makes my teeth black as night, but washes out instantly. I'd like to look into a charcoal mouth wash since charcoal pulls out odors really well.

12. Howard

I told my Japanese customers about a charcoal toothpaste product I was developing in 2001 and then I learned that a Japanese co.started making it in 2003!They copy like crazy as do the Koreans and Chinese who are the masters of this.Yes,it can turn your teeth white So I do wonder as I know they do this kind of thing. IF the formula is correct.The charcoal should be activated and made here or there can be lead problems.
    The old 1700-1800's formulas were honey and charcoal and did a great job of whitening the teeth as well as absorbing stains,etc.