And Sometimes You Are Just Too Tired

Posted on September 10, 2007

In the years I lived in Tokyo i never quite got over how comfortable people where with their public roads and transportation. On morning strolls i would see people passed out in bushes, sleeping on benches, and slumped over on parked bikes.

Sometimes you are just too tired… and need some solid sleep.

sleeping01.jpg

sleeping02.jpg

sleeping03.jpg

sleep01.jpg

sleeping04.jpg

sleeping05.jpg

sleeping06.jpg

sleeping07.jpg

sleeping08.jpg

sleeping09.jpg

sleeping-arcadecurve-lg.jpg

23 thoughts on “And Sometimes You Are Just Too Tired

1. PapiGiulio

Haha I’ve actually witnessed 1 stil alive and crawling on the streets. Even asked him to help, but he didnt want any lol.

Still im amazed people can sleep on the street, I cant close an eye in a noisy environment.

BTW I have my doubts about that last pic btw lol

2. dee

crazy. what is that red hard hat?is it actually for in case you fall asleep? if so, we need some of those bad boys here. no more wake up mid-yoyo neck. the business men asleep on the ground remind me of that radiohead music video-”just”. youtube it, you’ll see what i mean.

1. Ace42

The sign on the hat includes her destination, and a polite request for her to be awakened when the train reaches that stop. The device is purpose built for people to sleep on the tube, is a genuine invention, and has featured on various UK TV programs as a “look what those crazy japs get up to!” segment.

3. tigerlily

I am trying to stop laughing so that I can write this. That red hard-hat thing…that is completely hilarious. Maybe all hats should come with a convenient suction cup in the back in case you want to take a snooze. I am just hoping that some of these people aren’t coming off , like, a 3 day ice methamphetamine high or something.

4. pityfoo

The one with the red hat is definitely fake, or at least a joke — taken from a book in chindoku (“unuseless inventions”). I’d think W.A.E would be all over that.

5. jeremy

when i was living in tokyo i’d often see businessman passed out in the subway. no one hassled them and if they were blocking the way someone would usually help drag them off to the side.

it’s a result of all of the group drinking often done in companies there. if someone misses the train they often won’t go home because taxis are too expensive, so they’ll stay in a tiny ‘capsule’ hotel or try to catch some sleep wherever they can.

6. agent0range

japanese are too much workaholic people
    tired=sleep even in a such noisy environment
    too much work = tiredness = less sex = less babies = declining population
    tsk tsk tsk tsk

7. Apollyon

I have passed out in public places many times…. park benches… on the fairy… public busses… on the beach… at school… almost everywhere….

and I am about to pass out on my keyboard now…

8. shocking

I can’t beleive it they are all out there face on drugs and not just us commoners but people in suits! like i said shocking maybe they should bring some of that relaxed atmosphere over here!!!!!!!!!!1

9. yaya

Seen this in Tokyo. Most are just drunk from boozing it up. Japanese are hard working but come Friday night all hell breaks loose. I’ve seen coworkers being dragged back to the train seriously drunk by 8:00PM. If you miss that midnight train then your stuck at the station sleeping on the floor. But no worries, crime rate is so low you can leave your brief case on the sidewalk and now one will touch it.